LCSS and the Solar Eclipse
We are excited to use this rare occurrence as a special learning opportunity for our students. We have considered multiple options to best serve our students since the event is expected to occur at our normal release times. After much consideration, we have decided on the following plan:
- Provide professional learning to staff about the what, why, and when the event is expected.
- Have teachers provide instruction and incorporate aspects of the eclipse in their lesson plans.
- Buy eclipse glasses for all students and staff.
- Have an early release day by following our standard early release procedures. This will also allow ample time for families to travel to a more ideal viewing location if they wish. The event is anticipated to occur around 2:35.
- Have students from each school sign up for an eclipse field trip. We will transport them to a location TBD for "Totality" viewing. In Lumpkin County, we are expected to have a full eclipse. However, we are not in the ideal viewing zone to experience the event.
We recognize that school systems across the state have a variety of plans. We felt that this plan would best serve the needs and provide the best learning opportunity for students in Lumpkin County.
PRIDE IN THE TRIBE